From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:39:46 +1100
Anyone else think that the milk banking spokespeople have overstated the
risks of informal milk sharing?? In both this interview on GMA and the one
someone posted a radio link to the other day they seemed to be intent on
emphasising how dangerous human milk is and (on the radio one) listing
diseases etc. Sure, there is a risk associated with milk sharing *but* "very
dangerous"?? and never a mention of how to reduce risk or pasteurisation for
eg. Don't we have enough of the yick! dirty breastmilk idea about??

Karleen Gribble

Australia

T"he trend concerns Laraine Lockhart Borman, the director of the Mother's
Milk Bank in Denver. "Getting milk from an unscreened donor via the Internet
would be a very dangerous proposition," she said. "

> Yes, they did a segment on informal milk sharing - talking about Jenn the
mom with a double mastectomy who has the website feedmybaby.com.

> http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/DrJohnson/story?id=402223&page=1
>
> More Mothers Sharing Breast Milk
> Doctors Warn There Are Many Dangers in Sharing Breast Milk Purchased on
the Internet

> Jan. 11, 2005 - The practice of sharing breast milk is nothing new. It's
been going on for centuries, dating back to the era of wet nurses. What is
new is a practice in the United States in which women, often perfect
strangers, are finding each other on the Internet and exchanging breast
milk.