From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:45:37 -0400
In my experience mums with ill, and possibly dying, infants can
decide for themselves if they wish to express milk or not.  I think
that HCP professionals are uncomfortable with discussing milk
expression in these mums as they think that they are fostering false
hope and attachments.  These same arguments were used for many years
to discourage mums from holding, naming and burying their dead
infants.  Now we know that saying goodbye is part of grieving.

I think that for many mums, breastfeeding has been something they
have anticipated for months.  It is part of the experience they
planned to share with their baby.  If it eases their mind to pump
and lets them feel good that their milk might be needed for their
baby then why should a HCP argue against it?  I also think that for
some mums pumping or expressing allows them to experience part of
lactation.  They may need to feel these sensations to answer to the
part of them that yearns to nurse their baby.  I see it as an
opportunity to grieve for the lose of the nursing experience. Some
mums even donate to a milk bank. I say let the mums decide.  Only
she and her family can know what is right for them.

--
Janet Vandenberg, RN, BScN,
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada