From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:19:49 -0700
You have posed a good question about who in JCAHO sets the rules (re:
lactation services in hospitals in the US) and on what basis.  Now, however,
ILCA has two reps either on the JCAHO board or advising the JCAHO board.  As
for me, I am one of three full time IBCLCs in my hospital, for the last
year, who owe our jobs to JCAHO's insistence that the hospital set up a
formal Lactation Program.  We do expect questions from them when they come
to survey us in late Sept.

We have almost nonexistent followup.  One of our dozen or so clinics in on
the same campus as our hospital.  They call us several times a week to run
over right now to help a mom with BFing problems.  The other clinics are
S.O.L. at this time (short on luck).  Hosp staff expects us 100% on the
floor seeing moms.  Hosp admin expects us to spend time attending & working
for about 8 different Admin committees, write new P&P, and write now patient
ed materials on 4th grade level (which means rewriting absolutely
everything).  Future plans are to educate staff on BFing.  But there are
innumerable obstacles on that one.  We did get formula bottles removed from
the crib drawers of declared breast-only babies.  It's easily available if
mom asks for it, but at least it's out of sight.  We are still trying for
phone followup to determine continuation rates.  We get info from about 25%
of attempted calls.  Admin is slow to recognize that continuation rates are
almost directly related to the availability of postpartum followup help.  We
also have a population that tends to take babies to the doctor only if
there's a health problem they can't resolve.  They ignore regular well-child
checks, immunizations, etc.  They come back again when the child is ready to
go to school & are faced with immunization make-ups.  If JCAHO asks us about
our program, I maybe we can plead "novice program" still in the "developing"
stage.

As soon as they return from Acapulco, perhaps they can fill us in on the
history and of lactation regulations set by JCAHO.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC

BTW:  Acapulco was GREAT!!  90% hurrays!!  10% boos, but who expects
perfection?  More later from a lot of us, I'm sure.