From:
The Bentleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:09:20 -0500
Shall I be the first?  I told my husband Lactnet would be buzzing!

removed from the home because he is breastfeeding (taken right out of a
recent actual US case - anyone know links to news articles?).  The male
lawyer thinks the case is a waste of time.  The father is asked, "What will
you do when he is 18 and still breastfeeding?"  Father replies, "I don't
know."  Throughout the mother is portrayed as fanatic and domineering of her
husband - she speaks out of turn in court, tells her husband what to say
while he is on the stand, and glares a lot!

Judge Amy interviewed the 6 year old child who was taking breastmilk to
school in a thermos ("It's the only milk I like."); he was being teased by
the other kids at school and she asked how he felt about that.  We didn't
get to hear his response.  In court Judge Amy declared that this was a
"silly" case, where one member of the family was pushing her own beliefs on
the rest who were "walking on eggshells" around her.  The judge said that
breastfeeding a 6 year old in this day and in North America was not right,
and she would not be moved by what was done in other times or cultures.  As
the family left the courtroom, the father held back and whispered to her,
"Thanks, Judge."

Sigh.

Michelle Bentley, CLE, LLL
Ottawa, Ontario