From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:42:03 +0200
Okay, everyone.  Thanks for the many posts encouraging us to stay on topic
rather than straying into a discussion about Disneyland or anything else
which could quickly turn into a one-way trip to Never-neverland.
I'm trying to walk a fine line between my role as listmother and my role as
subscriber.  As a subscriber what I love about this list is the ability for
people of VERY different attitudes and backgrounds to exchange information
usefully and politely, so all of us can learn and thereby improve our
abilities to help women breastfeed.  As a listmother I'm happy to say that
in our virtual living room the atmosphere is generally open with a genuine
curiosity about the world, in our common search for truths that can help us
in our work.
The person who sent the off topic post which has sparked several of you to
respond, is in fact not a subscriber, but a family member of a subscriber.
If you do share e-mail with others in your family, it is prudent to see to
it that they also read the welcome message to Lactnet so they are familiar
with the guidelines, since they may stray into the living room from time to
time and you don't want them to embarrass you in front of 3000 of your
colleagues by going off topic and/or stepping on toes.
The listmothers will continue to send gentle reminders to the list as
needed, about off topic or inappropriate posts, because most subscribers are
simply reading them.  If you have ever sent a post we find inappropriate,
you will already be aware that the private posts we send in such cases are
much more explicit, though we still strive for politeness as our guiding
principle.
And yes, Jo-Anne, I hope we can get back to breastfeeding now.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway