Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:12:59 EDT
Kirsten,
I remember this study well.  I found the information very disturbing and
posted a note to Lactnet concerning this.  I read about it in Medela's
September 1999 issue of "Rental Roundup." The article entitled "Only Intense
Breastfeeding May Ensure Health Benefits" reported on a study which was
released by The American Journal of Public Health (Am J Public Health.
1999;89:25&SHY;30).  Medela's article said, "The U of M study looked at
government data on more than 7000 infants and found significantly fewer bouts
of diarrhea, coughing, wheezing and vomiting and fewer doctors' visits for
illness among babies who were exclusively breastfed for six months.  Other
babies who got at least half their nutrients from breast-milk saw some
benefits but they were less significant.  And babies who received less than
half of their nutrients from breast milk had no fewer infections than babies
who received no breastmilk at all."  It concluded with: "For more information
on the study contact Jeanne Raisler, University of Michigan School of
Nursing, Ann Arbor, MI or refer to the American Journal of Public Health."
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Encounter
Montgomery, AL