From:
Denise Punger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:01:13 PST
Recently I have noticed that the reference to Family Physicians used
interchangeably with General practitioners on lactnet. My patients often ask
me if I  am a general practitioner or do I specialize. Most people have
enjoyed my brief definitions of each.  This applies for the USA. A Family
Physician has completed a three year family medicine residency. The first
year is called an internship.  To become board certified a physician has to
pass the boards. To remain board certified one has to keep up with
continuing education and take an exam every 6-7 years. Pediatrics and
Internal Medicine are also three training programs. OB/GYNs and surgeons
have longer residency programs.

There is  no board certification for a general practitioner. A physician
calls themselves a general practitioner if they have completed an internship
which could be in any  specialty. There are several reasons a physician may
not have completed a residency. The most common reason I can think of is
that they trained before board certification came about.

Denise Punger MD, FAAFP, Diplomate of the American Board Of Family Practice,
and most important, mother to William  (3 1/2) and Scott  (1 1/2), who are
still tandem nursing.
Hobe Sound, Florida