From:
Rose Straeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 10:41:03 -0500
I have been an IBCLC since 1994.  I have always been proud of that title.  Personally I think it is better to find a postive way to make a difference than to allow people to think they can make a difference by not certifying or recertifying.
I agree with the importance of ethics.  I have worked both in private practice and at a hospital and no matter what situation you find yourself ethics is essential.
My greatest frustration lately has been the fact that the CLC's at the local hospitals call themselves lactation consultants and it is confusing for patients/clients because to them it appears that CLC and IBCLC are the same.  If we stop certifying and recertifying then there will be no difference because IBCLC will begin to die as a certification.  I don't think that is what anybody wants.
I would like to see us come up with some positive ideas for creating change in our profession and in our organizations.  I would love to be involved in that process if possible.  So put on your thinking caps and you will be amazed at what you can dream and achieve.
Rose Marie Straeter, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Marion County Health Department
618-532-6518 Centralia office