From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:32:19 +0000
I have just read this paper (on-line in pre-publication form):

Scavenius M, van Hulsel L, Meijer J, Wendte H, Gurgel R.  In practice, the
theory is different: A processual analysis of breastfeeding in northeast
Brazil.  Soc Sci Med. 2006 Oct 27

This is an exciting study which dissects the particular situation in Brazil
to examine the understandings of women who are breastfeeding and
investigates 'insufficient milk' in a nuanced, bio-psychosocial way.  The
authors suggest that the understanding of women who breastfeed exclusively
is that of breastfeeding as a process, while they demonstrate that
de-breastfeeding (their term -- brilliant) is also processual and that
insufficient milk is the end stage.  If you are thinking there is a
familiarity to this, it is built on the analysis of Penny van Esterik, sadly
neglected, imo.

These findings resonate not only with my own understandings but also with my
own ethnographic work (and that of a few others) here in the UK, obviously
the cultural context will change many things, but the underlying theories in
this paper may be very helpful in understanding what is going on (huge
effort then needed to translate to clinical practice or public health
practice).

Magda Sachs