Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:59:12 +0000
Thanks Carol, for your analysis and support of Valerie McClain's work.

Valerie - I for one want you to continue posting. I read every one of
your posts and learn from it.

I think the whole genetically modified 'thing' has *huge*
implications for bf. CB is quite right when she says that big
business will be well ahead of us in  the game.

In the UK, there has been a lot of concern about GM foods (as we call
them here) and it is a bigger consumer issue than in the US (as far
as I can tell), and has been for some years. We are now in the
situation that consumers have to be informed  on the packaging when a
food may have GM ingredients but I am not naive. There could be many
ways milk manufacturers could get round this when it comes to infant
formula - they could get it classified as a pharmaceutical, for
instance, which would mean it was subject to different regs. Or they
could argue that it was a *benefit* and therefore outside the
regs....or whatever.

There is enough of a history of formula marketing to know that
scruples or ethics will not be very high on the agenda...and when the
manufacturers are prevented from going as far as they want, they
simply get the health professionals to do their work for them....like
the totally shameful way the AAP has allowed itself to be sponsored
by Nestle, a situation that has parallels here in the UK, with the
Child Growth Foundation taking funding from Wyeth.

Keep it up, Valerie; we need your voice.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK