From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:31:16 +0100
On 14/06/2012 21:24, Jojomari818 wrote:
> I'm not sure if I just need encouragement or an actual resource ... I am soooo sad (and mad) because yet another baby with a "short gut" is being deprived of mother's milk - I don't think they are even going to offer the option of giving the colostrum - they "must go to Alimentum because that is the only thing that is broken down enough for this very short gut to tolerate"  (baby has never fed)
> Am I missing something BIG here? When did something other then mother's own milk become a better option for the most fragile situations?
> I really hope this is just a certain doctors'/teams' preference and NOT the way things are being done elsewhere/everywhere!
> Someone please reassure me and if there are some fantastic references I don't know about, I do have some "sway" with the mom but at this point it would take some real proof to make her think she needs to get a "second opinion".

Tried Pubmed and found this article, which seems to say breastmilk can
be used. Full text not available on line so obviously don't know if
there's anything in the article about situations where it can or can't
be used. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20184992

Best wishes,

Dr Sarah Vaughan
MBChB MRCGP