From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 00:40:10 -0700
Jay and all,

A nurse I work with said she was having a terrible time breastfeeding
until she went to visit her sister (think she said baby was a week old
and sister's baby around 3-4 months).  They nursed each other's babies.
New mom learned to breastfeed from experienced baby and new baby from
experienced mom.  I am quite sure I remember hearing in my lactation
educator's course that this practice used to be fairly common; however,
it seems I also heard that you needed a fairly young baby (under 5
month?) for the older baby to be willing to nurse from someone other
than mom.

Concerns in your case would be:
Are you and your friend (and your spouses) completely comfortable with
regard to possible disease transmission?
How would your 2-year old feel about sharing his milk with someone
else's babies?
Would this improve or negatively impact your friend's confidence?
How would your friend feel about your "bonding" with her babies?
Would milk designed for a 2-year old be appropriate for pre-term
newborns?

I'm guessing that having your 2-year old nurse from this mom would not
be helpful nor would you probably want to suggest it.

Hope this helps.
--
Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA