From:
Joanna Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:11:04 -0800
Betsy wrote:
"I know I have mentioned this before, but I would be interested in knowing=
if=20 any of you have tried the "Breastflow" nipple by First Years? I came
upon=  it=20 totally by accident (a mother I was following went out and
bought one) an= d I=20 have to tell you, I was amazed at how different this
nipple was in compar= ison=20 to the others we all know. The baby has to use
suction AND compression to= =20 get the milk out and it come out very slowly
as well. the mouth has to be=  very=20 wide open also."

Though I very much like the look and concept of this bottle I've had
negative feedback from moms.  One baby had poor gain.  The others have taken
enough but parents complain about a lot of leaking.  One mother emailed
around her listserv group and found similar concerns.  Perhaps they are
putting this two-layer nipple together wrong.  It may be a very good bottle
but if parents can't use it right in their sleep-deprived state then I'll go
with something easier in the initial weeks.

Parents and babies seem to do very well with either the Dr. Brown's
(standard, not wide-neck - on the wide-neck it's far too hard for many
*newborns* to latch onto the wide base) or the slower but identically shaped
Playtex VentAire.  Have seen many little ones spend weeks (months on a few
occasions) on these bottles and go right back to breast - which of course is
the goal.  As always, appropriate bottling technique is very important
(pacing, eliciting wide gape before each feed, baby in sitting position,
etc.).  I suspect technique may be as or more important than the nipple
shape.

Nothing is ideal if it isn't a breast!!

Joanna Koch, IBCLC