From:
Shannon McElearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:46:48 -0500
I responded to the request for interviews of mothers who have donated
breastmilk and the article ran in today's (January 4, 2004) issue of the
Wall Street Journal.  The article was "Mothers Who Share Breast Milk" by
Sara Schaefer Munoz.  It was a reasonable article -- mostly positive,
though it did discuss the (true) potential of transmission of communicable
disease.  The editor unfortunately added a blurb at the end about the drop
in antioxidents in frozen breastmilk per the Robert Wood Johnson story,
misleadingly leaving out that the levels are still higher than in
artificial formula.  I have sent a letter to the editor and to the author
with the graph demonstrating that they remain 30% higher in frozen EBM.

For an article not written by a "lactivist", on the whole, I think it was
positive.  She left out my motivation for donating (interested in breast
cancer, recovered from breastfeeding problems early on).  Also amused that
I was described as trolling the internet.  :)

It is available at the online website, though you have to subscribe
temporarily to view it (2 week cancellation.)

Shannon Tierney McElearney, MD
University of Virginia
Department of Surgery