From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:41:59 +0000
I liked Dee's theory of the thickened stringy milk being 'already there' and
not totally cleared and getting in a warm tub to dilate the duct and express
it. Does warmth really dilate the ducts? Seems it would. Anyway, here are
some more thoughts. If mom is using lanolin or any other cream or ointment,
d/c that. Investigate if there is any steady pressure on that particular
ductal area, like when mom sleeps or is she wearing a too-tight bra or pads
that press against her. I have seen women remove their bra and there is an
indentation of where a bra seam was. It seems this could occlude that area
all day long and even at night. Perhaps remove the bra at night (or any
other time) or change to a 'sports' type bra w/o seams.
Also I think women are afraid of soap and water on their breasts and
especially nipples. While I do not generally advocate rough or obsessive
cleansing of the breast/nipples, I think soap and water are fine, even
cleansing the breasts and nipples when bathing. Sometimes some very gentle
abrading of the nipple pores helps.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA