Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:41:21 +0200
I found a few interesting things in the literature found through the link that someone previously posted.
(www.prenatalEd.com).  The background states that the paper was done to review and update the info regarding "relief of breast engorgement" : (which appears in Book 6, page 61in their "Beginnings: A Practical Guide through Your Pregnancy":
....... "Put ice packs on your breasts" (is this before or after bfg???)
....... "do not touch your nipples or let clothes rub on them" (does anyone know that to be connected?/)
......."do not squeeze out the milk" (uh, how is one to release milk? or is the word "squeeze" the main problem?)
......."In the shower, do not let hot water flow directly on your breasts".  (I don't know about you, but I have excellent results from hot water baths, massage and manual expression right into the water!!!)

"while this is still sound advice, ............................." it goes on to state some of the randomised and quasi-randomised clinical trials.  At best, IMHO, quite inconclusive. Further along, they recommend research into the effects of using cabbage leaves to "prevent" or treat engorgement. If we and the public are led to believe that cabbage leaves are recommended for prevention of engorgement we can expect to increase, rather than decrease possible trouble shooters for initiating bfg.  Things are bad enough without "prescribing" uncontrolled use of cabbage leaves because scientific or anecdotal,  there seems to be a reduction in some cases of milk supply. (as someone addressed before) Seems to me someone should let them know what possible repercussions could be.  There are other discrepancies in this review, but this was the main thing that struck me as detrimental to the cause!!

ellen Shein, IBCLC, Tel Aviv