From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:56:59 EDT
Jennifer,
Are you using a nipple shield to sustain a latch with the premie who can't
nurse?  I was seeing a baby born a little early (37 weeks) who had ended-up
with a bili of 22 on day 5 of life, bili blanket started, mom pumping and
feeding expressed milk, and bili down to 14 on day 7 and bili blanket d/c'd
on day 8.  Day 9, I assisted mom with getting baby back to breast...tried
without shield and baby couldn't sustain a latch.  Used a "small" size
shield, and baby gulped, transferred 46 cc's, and didn't lose her latch.
Mom's thrilled!  And, hopefully this mom/baby couplet will remain a
breastfeeding couple....if no one else interferes....
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL