From:
Heidi Koslo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:25:33 -0900
I work at a WIC office which receives (if mothers choose to release the
info) birth announcement information from the local hospital.

I try and call them on the third day after birth just to "check in and see
how things are going" ... I ask if they have experienced an increase in
their milk supply (I NEVER ask if milk has "come in")?  Are they
experiencing any engorgement?  Are their nipples sore or damaged in any way?
I ask them to describe diapers, how many wet, and what the "dirty" ones look
like. (I make a f/up call in one week ... that's when I bring up "growth
spurt" information.)

These initial questions are enough to lead into specific info the moms need.
When I was waiting until the infants were 2 weeks old ... if there had been
problems the moms had already quit BF ... I think waiting that long is TOO
long unless you KNOW the moms have good support and really know what is
normal ... that's not too many of them, unfortunately.

Heidi Koslo, IBCLC, RLC
907-376-2829