From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:38:09 -0500
Linda,
HELLP (HEmolysis, Liver dysfunction, Low Platelets) is a syndrome that
describes patients with hemolytic anemia, elevated liver enzymes and low
platelet count.  The syndrome is present in about 10% of patients with
severe preelampsia-eclampsia.  It is most often seen in Caucasian
patients with delay in diagnosis or delivery and in patients with
abruptio placentae.   The disorder occurs in the last trimester of
pregnancy.  There is vomiting, upper quadrant pain and progressive
nausea.  Liver function deteriorates rapidly and delivery is essential in
treatment.  Stillbirth is frequent, with high neonatal loss usually due
to prematurity.
Current Obstetric & Gynecologic Diagnosis & Treatment, Sixth Edition,
1987.
I know this reference is old, but I haven't been in school for a while.
Hope this helps.
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Worcester, MA (USA)

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:49:44 -0800 Linda Bojman <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I need all of wisdom oned help I try looking in the archive but I
>clould
>not get an answer. Please can someone tell what is the HELLp syndrome?
>thank you in advance. Bye Linda Bojman, MS, RD,CLE living in San
>Diego, CA.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]