From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:14:28 -0500
This snippet from the March of Dimes website was just brought to my attention:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_826.asp
>Not all foods are safe for pregnant women. Some contain high levels
of chemicals that can affect your baby's development. Others put you
at risk for getting an infection that can hurt your baby.

What you can do:
Use common sense when preparing and selecting foods. Avoid the following:
<CLIP>
Refrigerated smoked seafood unless it has been cooked (as in a
casserole). Canned versions are safe. <

This is the first time I have heard about avoiding smoked salmon  (aka
lox and nova,) during pregnancy. It does not mention avoiding it while
breastfeeding.

So I did a little research and found this:
http://www.foodsafety.gov/~fsg/f02liste.html
>What steps can I take to prevent listeriosis?

USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the U. S. Food
and Drug Administration (FDA) provide the following advice for
pregnant women and all at-risk consumers:
<clip>
Do not eat refrigerated smoked seafood unless it is an ingredient in a
cooked dish such as a casserole. Examples of refrigerated smoked
seafood include salmon, trout, whitefish, cod, tuna, and mackerel
which are most often labeled as "nova-style," "lox," "kippered,"
"smoked," or "jerky." This fish is found in the refrigerated section
or sold at deli counters of grocery stores and delicatessens. Canned
fish such as salmon and tuna or shelf-stable smoked seafood may be
safely eaten.<

Surely smoked fish IS cooked? What am I missing?

norma