From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:16:12 PDT
5 mo old and slow letdown:
1. increase bf, cut back on solids and juice
2. if does not do #2, then add regular milk expression to build supply back
- I find this is very common when solids added, the bf gets cut back too
much. The solids are given as 3 meals instead of just extra tastes over and
above the main diet which is breastmilk. 5 mos is still very young to be on
too much solids and juices; this is not to say that 5 mos is too young to
introduce solids etc.
3.r/o pregnancy

lower back problems and hormones of pg/lactation:
I am not sure of this, but it is in the archives. Pregnancy hormones
(relaxin) more of an effect than any bf hormones, but will not have a big
effect I don't think, if any. Mother can read about it, and make the
decision herself. Exercises to strengthen back, positioning and movement
careful not to injure could be taught by PT and bf continue.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, southeast USA