From:
Julius Edlavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:10:53 -0500
DEAR LACNET MEMBERS
This was posted on Pedtalk list serve
Any comments
send to me and I will post them back to pedtalk
I'm not sure exactly about breast milk, but the problem with nitrogen in
the blood in scuba is actually one of partial pressures of gasses so that
the N goes into solution when the person is under hight pressure at great
depths (>30-40 ft).  When the person rises back to the surface quickly, the
N comes out of solution and back to the gas phase.  It's the bubbles that
are a problem.  If stops are made during the ascent, the gas is slowly
brought back out of soolution at a rate that the body can blow off in the
lungs and no or an insignificant amount of bubbles form in the blood.
        I doubt that N would stay any more in solution in breast milk than in the
blood when the person returns to the surface using the appropriate pressure
equalization stops as they ascend.