From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 18:23:20 PDT
Hi All,
This is personally fun reading about pregnancy and BF!  I have 3 children and
BF through 2 pregnancies without giving it a thought.  However, my older one
was 2 1/2 when I became pregnant with the next.  The shrinking amount of milk
did not seem to deter the number of nursings desired per day, but I think it
may have reduced the amount of time at the breast.  Since BF was the easiest
way to attend to my baby/child, it never occurred to me to stop.  The older
one always liked it when the new baby came and there was more milk.  And,
yes, they did come home from kindergarten and nurse!

I must have missed something along the way.  How old was the older baby in
question when the mother became pregnant?  I assume only a few months.  If
so, the mother may need assistance in determining adequacy of amount.

Question:  if the mother is overweight, her fertility may resume earlier.  I
am assuming that that is the reason the mother is pregnant in the first
place.  Will this have any impact on the amount of her milk?  This situation
is very different from the mother who has an early return of fertility due to
infrequent BF & supplementing.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC