From:
jlwright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:31:46 -0400
A mother I'm working with was concerned about her baby's weight gain due
to a derogatory comment made to her by her peditrician. When I first
spoke to her her baby was four months old and she worked fulltime. She
exclusively fed her baby her human milk, pumping at work and so on...
Her baby did seem to weigh what some might consider a lot, but she only
nursed 4 - 5 times a day while she was home. The baby's weight was 21
pounds at 4 months old. The ped. made comments like lets put this little
sumu on a diet. He recommended to cut out the night time before bed
feeding and suppliment with what he called empty calories, cereal.
Although this seems like a lot for a four month old I assured her that
her breastfed baby could not be over fed and hes was doing great for a
working mother and keep to up the good work. I recommended two good
books for her to read WAOBF and NMCG. I gave her the name of a local
IBCLC that practiced at her doctor's office and said to make her 6 month
check up with her because she is an IBCLC and would support her
breastfeeding efforts. She decided not to suppliment with cereal and at
her 6 month check up baby weighed 24 pounds. The IBCLC that I sent her
to told her that her baby was obese and to suppliment with cereal and to
let her baby "cry it out" at night. I feel terible... What should I do?
What's the truth? Does anyone have information on how to determine
obesity in a breastfed baby? HELP. Melinda