From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:06:47 -0500
Denise wrote:

"I'm a little concerned that some readers of the posts on these subjects may
be linking these two different research projects.

The findings on breast anatomy have nothing to do with pump research."

The concern is with the oral presentations that promote or advertise a
company's products in the name of sharing new research information. Some of
these have been at major conferences, some at local LC networking groups.
The sessions are listed as being about the research, not listed as having
advertising included in the talk. What Rachel said was this was done at the
anatomy talks and many of us have seen it at the pump research talks.

The written journal articles have been done in a professional manner and
this is exactly how the information should be presented orally. You do not
see ads in the journals from the company that sponsored the research right
in the middle of the actual article. There are ethics involved that do not
permit such things.

Denise also wrote: "It all looks pretty open to scrutiny to me - and hands
everything over to
their competitors on a platter without them spending a cent on research to
help breastfeeding mothers."

What I have seen first hand is attempt at shushing of people addressing
issues relating to this latest pump research. I have seen people who pointed
out the research's flaws or criticized the advertising videotape used during
supposed research presentations treated very rudely by people with a vested
interest.

I have also talked to many IBCLCs who thought an advertising videotape was
ok when shown during the research presentation. Most of these did not even
think the videotape in question was advertising, they felt is was just
"informational." That is where my concern lies.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC