From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2014 18:22:48 -0700
I posted recently about this core measure, but forgot to mention two things. First of all, I'm finding occasionally now that due to increased support and education, some mothers will come into the hospital intending to both breast and formula feed. So the newborn's admission assessment will state that the mother is mixed feeding, the provider signs off on the plan, but then the mother exclusively breastfeeds throughout the hospital stay. So when this happens, I'm thinking that we won't get credit for it, correct? Since she's been excluded from data collection based on maternal preference. Or can we count her in our statistics?

Also, there was a post recently, in which the problem of having mother's who are exhausted or on magnesium drips that supplement with formula was discussed. It is frustrating that it can negatively affects statistics. I think that realistically, we are never going to get to a 0% supplementation rate. They understand that. The point of the core measure is to make providers and hospitals aware of the issue and begin setting goals to improve breastfeeding support. The government goal is to get to a rate of less than 15% of babies supplemented with formula in the first two days. Even the best baby-friendly hospitals still have some formula supplementation. But the point is for us to work towards reducing it. Where I work, it used to be particularly bad, because the night nurses would just routinely feed almost all the babies 10 ml of formula before their hearing screen so they would sleep better and the test would go faster for them.

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC