From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:33:32 GMT
Cynthia and lactnuts,
I am coming in late on this thread, sorry, but had to add my 2 mls.
I have done some searching of this topic and at one time had some private
email discussions with another lactnut about this. From what I have read, I
have not seen anything about directly "inoculating" the breast with the
germs. Rather, the mother "breathes in" her baby with inhales and smelling
him (bronchomammary pathway) and "eats him up" with kisses and finger sucks
etc (enteromammary pathway) so that these mucosal surfaces (along the
respiratory and GI tracts) get "inoculated" with baby's germs AND THEN the
breast (on site) gets the message to make antibodies. Formula fed babies
don't get this because they are not taking breastmilk. Babies eating
expressed ebm should get this benefit IF THE MOM IS BREATHING HIM IN AND
EATING HIM UP :) I would think cosleeping would help immensely too.
Maybe there are germs going directly into the nipple pores, ascending to the
ducts, etc and the breast reacting, but I have not seen this in my reading.
Have said before, Would love to have an immunologist on lactnet.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA