From:
Merilee Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:05:53 EDT
Hi all,
As I have maybe mentioned before I am now a nursing student.  And I have been
learning so many things that are not in my textbook.  Just to mention one, I
was also exposed to the jokes and making fun of the mothers who came into L
and D with a birth plan.  Needless to say, since this was my first OB clinical
rotation- I was appalled and dismayed for the couple who were trying so hard to
have a safe and good birthing experience.  I then prepared a flow sheet for
my OB instructor which delineated the possible effects on bf that the many
labor interventions could have.  She was really taken back at how many things
could effect bf.  She acted like she hadn't even thought about it before-- (L and
D nurse for 27 years).  I have also recently asked my pediatric instructors if
any of the area hospitals are Baby Friendly or have applied for Baby Friendly
status, they said that they had never even heard of it.  But, one question
that I did have from the textbook.  It states that cabbage leaves are often used
for engorgement, but that they should be boiled first.  Have I missed
something on Lactnet about this- as I have never heard of this before.  Also, in the
section about drying up milk they suggest binding the breasts.  I have seen
varying recommendations on this but started wondering if binding helps because
it increases the interductal pressure (such as being overfull or engorged)
which reduces blood supply and thus decreases milk production.  Are there general
thoughts about this?
Hope all are having a nice day, the weather here in CO is beautiful.
Merilee Reeder CLE