Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:54:14 EST
Does anyone have any articles on how supplementing a breastfed baby with
either Lipil or Advance can impact that baby's gut?  I'm not talking the
dangers of formula in general -- I'm talking about specific dangers of Lipil
or Advance.  If a mother has had to supplement w/ formula for some reason,
I've always recommended low iron so as to interfere w/ the lactoferrin in the
breastmilk as little as possible.  So the iron in the Lipil or Advance is one
problem -- but I wonder what the genetically engineered DHA/ARA may do to the
DHA/ARA in the breastmilk.

Does anyone have any articles that show that these formulas are NOT a danger
to breastfed babies?

It seems that the hospitals and pediatricians are giving this to everyone
with no thought whatsoever that it may NOT be the greatest thing since sliced
bread.

Meanwhile, the formula companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com