From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:32:53 -0400
So, my favorite breakfast is leftover pizza.  Oops! Mistake!!
And here in Norway, some people eat pancakes with jam on them, for supper, and others eat porridge.  In fact, the most common weaning practice here is to give a baby a major serving of infant cereal right before 'bedtime'.
I have no idea what things are in these various dishes that some cultures regard as appropriate for starting the day, and others use to conclude it.  But I do know that there's no accounting for taste.

Another infant feeding practice I find worrisome is one that grows from a belief in the fluctuating 'sufficiency' of a mother's milk production.  Mothers will report that they have 'enough' milk at night and in the morning, as evidenced by baby feeding to satiety *and then sleeping for several hours, or at least not showing signs of hunger for several hours*.  When babies do what babies do, namely feed more frequently in the afternoon and evening (just like we do), the mothers interpret it as proof that they don't have 'enough' milk in the evening.  So they start expressing from one breast at a couple of the morning feeds when they have plenty, and then they bottle feed that milk to the baby in the evening after breastfeeding, in hopes of having the same intervals between feeds in evening as in morning.  The between-feed interval seems to mean more than the happiness of the baby, as evidence for 'enough' milk.

The result, of course, is to increase production further in the early part of the day, so that they soon are addicted to expressing to relieve what is otherwise uncomfortable pressure, while the baby is at the breast less often in the afernoon and evening, so production then stays the same at best, and decreases further in the most common scenario.

I can't for the life of me fathom why someone would create such a lot of work for herself, when it's so much simpler to just feed the baby when it wants, day or night, but then I gave up long ago trying to understand normal people, when I realized I wasn't normal myself.  Remember, the mothers I am working with are pretty much home full time for at least six months and at the moment, two thirds of the ones at my hospital are primips, so no other children needing attention and time.

I would be really interested to see research into what recreational or obsessive-compulsive milk expression does to the breastfeeding relationship, to womens' perceptions of lactation and of breastfeeding, and to the content of their milk.  I can't imagine doing such research but if someone else did it I'd be reading it hot off the press.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway