From:
Laurie Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:54:05 EDT

<< However, what I found disturbing is the following categories of people that
he
 feels *do* need supplementation:  pregnant and lactating women, the elderly,
 and
 **children who are breast-fed**(sic)  About breastfed children Dr. Caballero
 states:  ".....should receive supplementation of vitamins A, C, and D, and
 there is a preparation called Trivisol that is the standard issue to these
 babies". >>

This is not "standard issue" in our area of the country (Indiana). Matter of
fact, in our area, the only "standard" vitamin recommendation is to check iron
levels at 12 months in breastfed babies. There are some doctors farther north
that recommend vitamin D in the winter time only because of the lack of
sunshine, but even that varies from doctor to doctor.

I am also troubled by the implication that breastfed babies are "at risk" for
vitamin deficiency. It appears that someone needs to be updated on the
research available on this subject.

Laurie Moody
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counsellor