From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:30:30 -0500
Re 16 pounds at one year.
To start, are they using the WHO charts for infants or the old ones,
not as accurate.  And second, not all infants who are small are FTT,
most infants drop off in weight gain at about this time.
My grown daughter weighed 16# 4 ounces at one year, her brother almost
18 pounds.  Neither of them ever hit those old charts, they were
short, thin and so on.  My son is over 6 foot as an adult and weighs
an appropriate amount, my daughter is 5'5" and is an average weight.
Luckily we had a ped who wasn't anxious about things.  I used to weigh
almost daily a little boy who was very thin, didn't gain well, he is
in 3rd grade now, still thin, but fine, but now he has a little
brother, growing just the same, but now they can see it is normal.
You might want to look at family growth patterns, possibly this is
just normal for him.  I know all kinds of healthy children who weighed
between 14 and 20 pounds at one year.

Pat Thomas RN IBCLC
1335 Lakeview Avenue
Winona, MN 55987