From:
Medora Bouck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:09:43 -0400
Hi, my name is Medora and I am a junior nursing student at the University of
North Dakota.  I am in my second semester of childbearing classes and am
working in the OB setting for clinicals.  I have been following the discussions
on Lactnet for a few weeks and I was interested by a post on Polycystic
Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and difficulty breastfeeding.
An article by Marasco, Marmet, and Shell wrote an article on the relationship
between PCOS and its possible connection to inadequate milk supply.  This
study focused on two of the diagnostic criteria of PCOS: hyperandrogenemia
and chronic anovulation.  The presence of elevated levels of androgens may
present problems to the process of lactation; they may down regulate the
effect of estrogen and prolactin receptors.  Obesity in women with PCOS may
also contribute to the elevated levels of estrogen.  PCOS onset occurs most
often during puberty thus creating potential for disruption of mammary
development of the ductile system, in which estrogen plays a large role, and
lobuloalveolar development, which progesterone regulates.  Prolactin is
important for mammary development during pregnancy and the endocrine
phase of lactation can be limited if prolactin receptors are down regulated
(2000, p.143-4, 6-7).
Another key hormone in breastfeeding is insulin.  Insulin plays a role in
stimulating stem cells of the mammary glands to grow and divide during the
beginning of milk synthesis.  Insulin resistance is a common problem in women
with PCOS and therefore a potential deterrent to effective lactogenesis
(Marasco et al., p. 147).
A common treatment for insulin resistance in women with PCOS is metformin.
This drug has been shown in many studies to be very effective for women
with PCOS who have infertility problems by facilitating a more regular ovulation
and conception.  Metformin also can decrease miscarriage, gestational
diabetes, macrosomia, and is not teratogenic (Glueck et al., p. 628).
However, less studied is the effect of metformin on breastfeeding and infants.
I found several recent studies examining the presence of metformin in human
breast milk and its effects on the health, growth and development on the
breastfeeding infant.
Metformin, a biguanide, improves glucose tolerance by reducing hepatic
glucose production rather than stimulating insulin release, which can then
increase insulin-stimulated glucose intake by the cells.  This drug was also
found not to increase plasma glucose concentrations or cause hypoglycemia in
healthy adults, and the same was also found to be true in infants (Hale et al.,
p. 1512 & Briggs et al., p.1440).  Hale et al. and Briggs et al. both concluded
that the amount of drug found in the mother’s breast milk stayed fairly
constant over a 12 hour period and that the concentration of drug in the milk
was below 10% of the mother’s weight-adjusted dose (mg/kg/d), a level that
is considered to be not clinically concerning (Hale et al., p. 1512-3 &amp; Briggs et
al., p.1440).  Both Hale et al. and Briggs et al. concluded that women taking
metformin postpartum should still be encouraged to breastfeed as no adverse
affects were attributable to the infants (Hale et al., p. 1513 & Briggs et al.,
p.1440).
A study performed by Glueck et al. showed that formula-fed infants who were
born to women taking metformin during pregnancy were just as healthy as
breastfed infants born to women taking metformin during pregnancy.  At three
and six month check-ups, children of both groups were at the same level of
weight, height and motor-social development for their age.  Glueck et al. also
conclude that metformin appears to be safe and effective for lactating
mothers and their infants (p.628, 631).
	This is what I had found in the literature, but I was wondering if
anyone had seen metformin used successfully to help mothers with PCOS to
lactate more successfully?