From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:55:10 -0600
(if you don't know what I'm talking about go to
http://mothering.com/
and click on the blue nursing logo article and
Action Alert
National Nurse-In This Tuesday)

The Nation-wide Nurse-In was quite a success I think.  Especially considering that we only began even talking about doing it, on Friday morning.

Final tally:  39 sites
Total attendance:  almost 800 people overall.
Media hits as of tonight (including the original Emily Gillette story)
410 plus.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1111206785&scoring=d
(and I don't think this is all the hits.  If you Google Delta + breastfeeding, you get different stories.  Google your town + breastfeeding to see your local stories)

We are the 2nd most read News Story on the Yahoo homepage
http://news.yahoo.com/i/964

The story has shown up in Canada, UK, and Pakistan so far.  I was interviewed by the French News Agency this morning - they were very interested and interviewed all the coordinators.

Some longer articles are
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2670566&page=3

Some highlights:

Attendance ranged from one lone mom, to over 70.

Some were welcomed, some were watched, some were asked to leave in an hour, one site didn't happen as only people with tickets were allowed into the airport.  And the low was, in Texas, the group was harrassed by airport security for being obscene, and threatened to be charged with indecent exposure.  The moms there will persue a complaint and hold a second gathering in a few days.

Overall, the women involved are energized and empowered.  We've now created 800 activists - encouraged and looking forward to the next step.  If you want a idea of how they felt, sign up to the Yahoo group, and start reading the messages from about 10:00 am today.
Or go to the Files section and read the folder called "SITE REPORTS"

There's lots more good media items I could point out, but I am wiped out.  Very little sleep last night.  I'll post more highlights later.

Janice Reynolds
(organizer of Nurse-In, along with Ashley Clark and Lorrie Leigh)

Official Nurse-In Sites

 1. Anchorage AK  ANC  5 moms 4 kids

 2. Tucson AZ  Tucson International  7 moms and kids

 3. Phoenix AZ 20 moms

 4.   Burbank CA  2 moms 2 kids

  5. Orange County CA  John Wayne Airport  5 moms and 6 kids

 6 Sacramento CA  12 moms 1 grandma 16 kids

  7  Santa Barbara CA 5 moms 6 kids

   8 San Diego CA 4 moms 2 supporters 5 kids

 9. San Francisco CA  4 moms and 4 kids

 10. Hartford CT  Bradley International  8 adults tons of kids

 11  Daytona Beach FL  2 moms and 2 kids

 12 Ft. Lauderdale FL  Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport  13 adults 13 kids

  13  Jacksonville FL  5 moms and 9 kids

 14  Boise ID  5 moms 5 kids

 15  Indianapolis IN  Indianapolis International  Not sure how many

 16  Atlanta GA  Hartsfield/Jackson  11 adults 12 kids

 17 Louisville KY  SDF 9 moms 1 dad 9 kids

 18. Baltimore MD  BWI  30 moms 32 kids

 19. Boston MA  Logan International  7 moms 8 kids

 20. Detroit MI  Detroit Metro DTW  10 moms 10 kids

 21  Lansing MI  6 moms 9 kids

 22.  Minneapolis/St. Paul  3 moms 4 kids

 23 Manchester NH  Manchester-Boston 5 adults 1 kid

 24  Albuquerque NM  26 moms 30-35 kids

  25. Las Vegas NV  LAS  10 moms

 26  Reno NV

 27  New York   John F. Kennedy  Turned away at the door

   28 Cincinnati OH  1 mom and 1 kid

 29 Columbus OH  Port Columbus  12 moms 18 kids

 30 Portland OR   PDX  40 total

 31. Harrisburg PA   HIA  25 total

   32  Philadelphia PA 1 mom 1 kid

 33 Nashville TN  Nashville Airport  9 moms 3 dads 1 grandpa 12 kids

 34 Dallas/Fort Worth Tx  6 moms 9 kids,  they were kicked out of the airport

 35  Houston TX  3 total

 36  Virginia  Dulles  5 moms

 37  Virginia  Reagan International  28 moms 70 people total

 38  Vermont   BTV  45 adults and about 45 kids

 39  Durango, Colorado