From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:09:30 -0700
I'd like to hear from those who have worked with women who work in the
fields.  Many of the counselors in our local WIC don't believe it is safe or
fair to ask them to consider pumping and saving their milk. Issues raised
include sanitation (no place to wash hands or pump parts), refrigeration
(how cold milk stays in thermal containers in sun), break time to complete
task, lack of electricity, privacy, overall fatigue burden. I am new to WIC
but have a lot of ideas that would address many of the issues. Nevertheless,
the overall belief is that it is not a good idea for field workers to
attempt to express and save milk during the day. What is the experience of
others?

Lisa Marasco MA IBCLC