Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:16:28 EDT
Mary Kay says,

<< There is a concern here in the Chicago area being
 raised that this hold is causing many problems with sore nipples and
 other breastfeeding problems.>>

HUH?  Why on earth would correct positioning using a cross cradle hold cause
sore nipples or other bf problems?  I don't get it.  If the baby is being
positioned (tummy to tummy or chest to chest) in alignment, and is taking a
good, big mouthful of breast tissue, in an asymmetrical sort of way, what on
earth is the problem?

<< Personally I tend to use this hold as a
 latching on option, not one to use throughout a complete feeding and I'm
 hoping that is the case with other LCs.>>

The mom's arm supporting the breast might get tired in the "chicken hold"
(think wing out there), and if the breast is well supported, then once baby
is latched well, mom can move her arm around the baby in what appears to be a
more traditional cradle hold.

<< Can any or all of you share with
 me, and the group if this seems to be a global concern, your thoughts
 and experiences with this hold? I've been part of a group discussing
 this lately and would certainly like to have more information to refute
 another person's viewpoint that this is being taught "everywhere" by
 "everyone" and that LCs are learning this via courses or conferences.>>

Guilty as charged. (Although much as I'd like to think I teach "everywhere"
and I'm "everyone", I don't think I am). I teach this in courses &
conferences -- Most of the moms seem to find it much easier to use what I
(and CNM) refer to as the "dominant hand" position in which the mother uses
her dominant hand to support the baby's head and neck so she can pull him
onto the breast quickly.  That means, if a mom is right handed, she would use
the football (clutch) position on the right side, and the cross cradle on the
left.  Breast is supported w/ the left hand.  Opposite if she's left handed.
Most moms tell me that it's a lot more comfortable than using the football in
the non-dominant hand, and for babies having difficulty w/ the latch, she has
some control.  And it certainly is a lot easier for babies having difficulty
than the traditional cradle hold.

I don't care if the baby is dangling from the lamp-post.  If he's latched
correctly, he's going to do fine.  If he isn't, he can be in the best
position in the world, and mom will get sore.

What's the deal?

Jan the guilty (??) in Wheaton and points beyond....who didn't know Chicago
was having a problem w/ this.  Wheaton isn't.