From:
Cathy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 12:25:26 -0400
In reference to Karin Hall's exciting opportunity to impact policy and breastfeeding and other outcomes in her hospital. We're looking at something that might be useful. One of our IBCLCs recently had a idea for a different approach to our local hospital. She is developing a plan to engage them in replication of the study below. The outcome measures demonstrate well-stabilized babies after birth, something the hospital staff and physicians may buy into more easily than yet another direct request to promote and support breastfeeding. Yet the long-term effect of the intervention, immediate skin-to-skin, has research evidence supporting its use to increase breastfeeding initiation and duration.
http://www.mcnjournal.com/pt/re/mcn/pdfhandler.00005721-200711000-00012.pdf;jsessionid=JK1LSJhnx1vvrVhhfG4PFhTFpnvLn00p1FFMcKTWcR2R1ggg8y9x!-975242908!181195629!8091!-1
If the link  doesn't work, the title is "Kangaroo Care at Birth for Full Term Infants: A Pilot Study." It's in the November/December 2007 issue of MCN.  If you search the archives, that issue for some reason is "free," and you can download articles from it.

Cathy Morris, RN, IBCLC, RLC
GA