From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:02:25 -0700
Hello, I hope someone can answer this question related to breastfeeding after active herpes lesions have been present.

A very pro-breastfeeding physician has called me about one of her patients. This mother presented with her first-ever case of herpes one week prior to delivery by C-Section. The herpes was on her breast/nipple/areola. Culture was positive for herpes simplex. This mother was treated with one week on Valtrex, 1000 mg bid. The herpes was gone at time of delivery.

This physician was reluctant to allow the mother to breastfeed after delivery. She tells me that the mother may have asymptomatic shedding of herpes after treatment. The physician is also concerned that the mother may be asymptomatic prior to the actual outbreak of lesions, and is very worried about the infant nursing on this once-infected breast.

The physician is allowing the mother to nurse on the unaffected side, with apprehension.

If anyone can shed light on this topic for me, I would truly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC