From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 1995 10:28:33 -0400
Karen:  In your message, you mention that you use a statement about your
sadness about the cute little munchkin missing out on breastfeeding.  I
know that you can't "make someone feel guilty", but I wonder if this may
not alienate some mothers rather than plant seeds.  After all, in my
experience, most mothers are aware that breastfeeding is best for their
baby (admittedly, many don't know just how much better it is).  I believe
in planting seeds about things mother might not have thought about, such
as some of the good things she might "miss out on", e.g. the pleasurable
feelings and the skin-to-skin closeness, the decreased risk of breast and
ovarian cancers, the convenience of being able to feed the baby
immediately, the financial savings of not paying for ABM and doctor's
bills, and if I know her to be environmentally conscious, I mention the
ecological issues.  It helps to know the person and individualize the
message.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]