Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2018 08:44:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
Nature never thought about us pumping, so many mothers have to find their tricks for letting down milk to something that is not as cute as their baby.  Women have breastfed through wars and famines, because the baby provides powerful cues for happier hormones, but pumping is easier to disrupt with stress (particularly in non-cozy work environments, or a NICU).  Once a mother has had a couple of disappointing pumping sessions, she can't look at those flanges without feeling anxious -- it's harder for her to get to the side of her brain not running on numbers.  Pumping combines very primal concerns e.g "My baby will STARVE!"  with an unpredictable technology -- and the classic definition of stress is being in a position of great responsibility with little control.

You've already provided lots of useful ideas for being very hands-on with the pump, which works for many people.  And playing around with flange sizes and shapes, lubricating the flanges, experimenting with the speed and suction, etc.   So she has to keep experimenting with the mechanics, but perhaps get more creative. So here are a few ideas:

Women have very individual reactions on pumping, so she is always looking for clues in her better sessions.  Some mothers find that the baby cues make them feel sad/stressed -- they feel really happy and efficient if they get some boring work task done -- while others can't touch anything to do with their job.  She could try reading a trashy novel instead, or going to YouTube and just watching funny or absorbing things -- no current news!  Or giving herself a treat with 20 minute doses of a favorite silly TV show or romantic movie or music that really makes her happy, with nice associations. It can be a fun conversation to ask people about their guilty pleasures.  I didn't know that "otter videos" existed…...

She could try guided imagery relaxation audios -- YouTube has lots, some specifically for pumping mothers (I believe the LC Robin Frees made some).  If the mother leans back and closes her eyes, with the audio on earphones, she also blocks the pump sound.  It pays sometimes to cover the bottles, or at least not look at the milk coming out.  A mother could try pumping in complete darkness, or by candlelight.  Tell her stories of creative pumping mothers.  I had a similar mother, with a thriving baby and not a drop for the pump.  I left the room for a minute, and she picked up my demo teddy-bear and was holding it in her lap -- and milk was flowing.  The cue she needed was something soft, looking up at her expectantly.  It almost made me cry.

Does she have more luck pumping when she's at home?  She could also try pumping one side while the baby is nursing on the other side, to condition the let-down to this alien twin.  It might also be good for her morale to see milk flowing to the pump.

Many employed mothers do focus on getting as much milk into the baby fresh from the breast, full of those live cells and active enzymes, to take some of the pressure off pumping.  With pumping, it's so easy to get focused on the number of ounces as the only measure, so we need to encourage keeping some of the focus on both of them enjoying the breast for the long term.   Some babies are also very loyal -- with a sleepy feeding early in the morning, and another right before parting company, and, thus tanked up, content to get through the day with minimal amounts, and feeding freely when they can be together again.  

Good luck to all.

Margaret Wills, IBCLC Maryland

> Date:    Tue, 4 Sep 2018 21:43:25 +0000
> From:    "Foley, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: No MER to Pump
> 
> Hello Lactnetters,
> 
> Working with a mom who is trying to pump at work, but not getting any MER.   She has tried warm compresses, pictures/videos of baby, music, breast massage, nipple stimulation, smelling baby's clothes, and "shaking" breast.   She has also tried using a hospital-grade pump with no improvement.   Baby is 3 mos old and growing fine - no supply issues.   She is coming home engorged.    I encouraged her to watch "hands on pumping" video & try that - any other ideas?   Thank you,
> 
> Mary Foley RN, BSN, IBCLC
> MelroseWakefield Healthcare, Massachusetts
> [log in to unmask]
> 
> 
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2