Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:24:13 +0000
>Jen,
>I sooo relate! Why can't I get any of my patients to go to lactation
>consultants? They even offer it free, we have a deal now that it will go
>through insurance from my office and then I'll reimburse the IBCLC and they
>still don't go! They don't even call for free advice, no one I ever gave LLL
>info to ever went!

http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/328/7430/0-d?etoc is a paper looking
at volunteer support for bf. It provoked a lot of discussion, so do
read the rapid responses it links to.

Mothers may find it very, very hard to access good support. This
paper suggests it should not be up to the mother to pick up the
phone, arrange a visit, call in on a group - there are too many
hurdles. Instead, support should be proactive and routine.

I know the reluctant feeling myself  - plucking up courage to go to a
meeting where I know I will know nobody. And I am middle class,
educated, confident, and a journalist to boot....used to sticking my
face anywhere and cold-calling people and getting them to talk to me.
What about someone even a little shyer than me? What about someone
who is not even sure that breastfeeding is right for them?

Mothers need to be invited and encouraged to access support many
times - not just once by their doctor, but again and again, by
everyone they meet. The doctor's receptionist needs to invite her.
The nurse who weighs the baby. Everyone.

We have a Baby Cafe  - http://www.thebabycafe.co.uk - in my city,
recently opened. It's only slowly getting attenders. Some midwives
and health visitors forget to tell their mothers they can go to it.
Sometimes, the hospital midwives forget. These mums need an
invitation every time they see a HCP and to be put in touch with a
friendly mum who will give them a phone call about it, then take them
and sit with them and be kind to them.

It's hard work, but it's worth it.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK