Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:20:27 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Further to the discussion on advertising at Israeli daycare centres, I found this in the Food and Nutrition Bulletin Vol 17 #4, Dec 1996: in "The cultural context of breastfeeding and breastfeeding policy" by Penny Van Esterik.

She quotes Kamerman 1983. "Maternity policies and working women." New York: Columbia University Press.
"Although the women's movement clearly has played an important role in improving the status of women, maternity and other family benefits have not been at the forefront of its agenda.....Heretofore, the women's movement has viewed family politics as either too traditional a focus for unenlightened women, or as too open to criticism as conservative."

Then she quotes Naomi Baumslag (1989): "Breastfeeding: the passport to life."  New York UNICEF.
"The new feminist movement in Norway has enouraged women's self-confidence and pride - both prerequisites for breastfeeding.  Unlike similar movements, the Norwegian feminist movement has never seen a contradiction between women's liberation and breastfeeding."

Any guesses, Rachel, as to why Norway has such a different cultural slant from other western nations?  Just 10 years further up the path of enlightenment, or are there other factors?

I'm sure that some progress has been made in feminist thinking and action since the 1980s.  I liked Keren's reminder that while the current Na'amat leadership might not support breastfeeding, later committees might.

Jacquie Nutt
South Africa

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2