From:
the juliest person you know <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 21:36:31 -0700
" Date:    Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:45:58 -0600
From:    Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Prolactin Levels/Why do gut issues lead to oversupply

~~~stuff cut~~~

2.) I found it interesting that Julie Tardos asked why gut issues lead to oversupply.  Julie, is that just something you have observed, or is that commonly accepted?  Most of the moms I work with (online) are adoptive moms and prospective adoptive moms.  About three-fourths of them take domperidone and most of them report a significant increase in bowel activity, especially during the early weeks.  It makes, sense, since the drug is used for GI problems and the increase in prolactin in a side effect.  I had always thought the two things were unrelated, but, since reading Julie's question, it sounds like maybe the stimulation of the pituitary to produce more prolactin is actually secondary to the increase in bowel activity.  I hope more comes of this discussion, because it might also shed some light on how drugs like domperidone and metaclopramide (which I strongly discourage adoptive moms to take) increase prolactin levels."
~~~~~

Several people on Lactnet have discussed this.  I've also heard it elsewhere from other IBCLCs, and then I started observing it over and over.  For example, recently, I had a client with overproduction, but at first she said she had no health problems, so I was at a loss to explain it, but then she said she had been constipated since the baby was born, which I would guess was from the iron pills she was taking.  Aha!  Gut problem.  Follow up appointment next week; we'll see what happens.

So, if medications such as domperidone stimulate the pituitary to make more prolactin which makes the body make more milk, how would an unmedicated gut problem cause overproduction?  Would a mother with undiagnosed celiac, for example, make too much milk?  Has anyone seen something like this?

Julie Tardos

====
Gold were as good as twenty orators,
and will, no doubt, tempt him to anything.
Richard III, act IV, scene II