From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:23:26 -0500
OK...so now my co-worker's daughter is getting harassed by her eye doctor
who asked how long she planned to keep on doing "that" (breastfeeding her 7
month old) as he could not perform her glaucoma checkup...and if she didn't
stop doing ..."that"... in the next 2 months...well, he'd have to charge
her for a full visit....

She was taken so aback that she said ... "Oh..." the first time he said
it...but when he repeated this comment (about the cost) she informed him
that NOW she plans to AT LEAST breastfeed for the year that the AAP
recommends.  (She has had difficulty in getting places to pump when she
attends meetings outside of her work area, so she was thinking of quitting
sooner....)

Now she wants to be informed and an activist.  I'm giving her the WABA and
IBFAN websites.  Any other suggestions?

I can't imagine that the glaucoma test that I get (puff of air) would be a
problem...is he concerned about the one that requires a deadening of the
area of the eye where a pressure tool is used?  Of course he also refused
to check her eyes for new glasses...

(Please reply ON Lactnet as well as copying me - I AM NOT "nomail" but
messages get confused and even lost in my Compuserve program.)

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA