Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:34:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
I want to thank Lactnetter Judy Ritchie for responding privately to my original post.

I took the time today to go to the http://www.jovipak.com  website she sent me and  clicked the selfcare classes button and listened carefully to most of them. They revealed a wonderful entry level set of insights from the treatment of lymphedema that could be transferred in large part into clinical practice for the relief of postpartum breast swelling and it's widespread iatrogenic side effects on initiation of breastfeeding, and timing of Lactogenesis 2. And it occurred to me that all the experiences in applying breastbinders as a student nurse on nighr duty in 1948 was not all bad. I think perhaps the practice needs to be carefully rethought as far as temporary relief. Along with deep breathing and mild exercise of the pectoral muscles.

My mind is absolutely boggled by the potential to "wed" some knowledge I found on this site with the comparatively paltry knowledge now available for the relief (and better assessment) of the interstitial components of postpartum breast swelling! 

This is of course an "end-run" around the doctors whose management strategies,while treating and/or avoiding some complications, cause significant breastfeeding complications. But until or unless further research on colloid osmotic pressures in the intrapartum period appeals to someone in the RD and/or medical community to research formally, I am convinced that a much better understanding of manual lymphatic drainage can help hugely in LC practice. 

It can contribute substantially to what the surgeon general called for: making breastfeeding easier, especially in the crucial first 2 weeks, especially if the hospital has not been on board with improving policies. In fact, it may even help hospital nurses and LC's make early latching/milk transfer work much better no matter where their facility is in the updating process!!!

I am thoroughly convinced that this information absolutely has to be officially amalgamated somehow into LC literature and everyday early postpartum clinical practice of both hospitals, pediatrics, home-visit nursing and WIC LC's and peers!!! They need better tools to help them navigate "where the rubber meets the road."

These insights have me more excited perhaps than when I realized the potential of developing and disseminating my insights on RPS!! And that's saying a lot!

Once again, thanks a million! And thanks to Lactnet for empowering us all with such networking opportunities!

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2