From:
Diane Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 16:57:30 -0400
Hi Lactnetters:

I'm working with a mom who had a breast reduction about 16 years ago. First
off I have to brag about this mom. After she had her 1st child 6 years ago,
her milk came in wonderfully but then do to the surgery her supply dropped
significantly and her daughter was no longer thriving.  She dealt with the
disappointment and then went on to bf her daughter for 15 months using an
SNS. She tells me she supplied about 1/2 what her child needed.

Anyway, she had another daughter 4 weeks ago; same kind of scenario.  Her
milk supply was doing very well but then at two and a half weeks she got
sick and was running a high (103.5F) fever and her supply took a nose dive.
She doesn't have any problems with latching; the baby lost 9 oz.
after leaving the hospital but regained her birthweight at day six and was
gaining steadily.  She takes her daughter to the hospital twice a week to
keep tabs on her weight gain.  When her baby lost 2 oz. she started using
the supplimentor again.

Then she found Dr. Newmans article on domperidone on the net and got a hold
of some and has been taking it for a week.  After two days her supply was
suffciently recoverd that she could stop using the SNS. She has several
questions about the domperidone, and I'm wondering if there is anyone out
there with any experience like this or has worked with a mom who has taken
the domperidone. This mom is very dedicated to breastfeeding so any help
would be appreciated.

1. Is the effect of domperidone cumulative?
2. Is there a maintenance dose so her supply doesn't build too fast?
3. Is there a dosage regimine that will allow her the longest time of
exclusive bfing

Thank you in advance,
Diane Moore
Volunteer Nursing Mothers Counsel