From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:28:08 -0400
If you really want some references and evidenced-based research to show this
doctor (I agree with the other posters that you shouldn¡¯t have too, but...),
then I would get your hands on Ann Sinnott¡¯s wonderful book, ¡°Breastfeeding
Older Children¡± (just came out this year).  It is a fantastically written
treatise on why breastfeeding in normal past one year (and beyond), and
really does cover all the issues that psychologists, HCP¡¯s and other busy
bodies of the world seem to come up with to ¡®prove¡¯ that breastfeeding a 6
year old is somehow wrong and going to cause all kinds of mental and
emotional problems for the child and family members.

It is available on Amazon, and the author has a Facebook fan page too. It is
very easy-to-read and enjoyable, also chock-full of quotes from the families
and children themselves.

Another book that might be of interest is ¡°Interaction and Relationships in
Breastfeeding Families: Implications for Practice¡± by Keren Gilboa.  This
too is fully referenced and evidence-based.  It is a MUCH drier read, very
scholarly, but might appeal to those with a scholarly bent!!

I am in no way affiliated with the books, just an IBCLC and LLL Leader whose
3 children EACH breastfed past 6 years apiece, and who thinks the Ann
Sinnott book is worth its weight in gold.

Robyn Roche-Paull
B.S., IBCLC, LLLL
Author & Founder ~ Breastfeeding in Combat Boots
http://www.breastfeedingincombatboots.com

757-286-6052 (cell)
757-963-0872 (fax)

Join the Facebook Fan Page!