From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:39:42 -0800
I have been working with a mom and baby for seven weeks now. He was went
into distress during labor, and doctor used a vacuum extractor to pull him
out.  I saw him first at a week of age, when he was hospitalized in my
hospital for jaundice.  He had a very long and bruised head.  Mom's milk had
come in, but MD was having them supplement, and had been since birth since
he wouldn't nurse.  Mom reported he was nursing well and she had plenty of
milk.

It soon became apparent that he was not nursing well and her milk supply was
going downhill fast. We began to do weekly weight checks, and I helped her
with her latch-on.  He was getting 0.1 oz of milk after 20 minutes of
nursing the first week.  She began pumping her milk and supplementing with
her milk when she had it.  She used formula twice a day.  On week three he
began to gain better, and for the past two weeks has been gaining about half
a pound a week, by nursing almost all day long, and getting one 4 ounce
supplement.
I knew from the start that his suck wasn't right. I suggested craniosacral
therapy for him, or work with a knowledgeable chiropractor.  Mom wasn't
interested. She was highly skeptical.

This week he finally looks better, fuller and more alert.  She told me he
wasn't smiling much, so I got him in my lap, got his attention, and talked
to him until he finally smiled.  Only the left side of his mouth turns up
for a smile.
I got about 10 of these half smiles out of him, and he was never able to use
the right side of his mouth. I showed this to his mom.  She has been a real
trooper about sticking with breastfeeding, despite his problems.
(Unusual where I work!)

Do you think I should try to get her to go for CS work somewhere?  Is there
an article or something I could share with her to help her believe this
might help him?   I believe this has been his problem all along, he has not
been able to latch and nurse well, with only half of his mouth working well.
I would appreciate suggestions.

Ann Calandro, RNC,IBCLC