From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 12:20:56 -0800
From: David Green <[log in to unmask]>

> Well, it was not too long ago that anesthetic agents presented greater risk to
> the infant than what procedure was being done to them.

While this was true some of the time it was also true that many Doctors
operated on infants without anesthetic *because they can't feel it*.
*Beacuse they can'y feel it* and *presents greater risk* are two very
different reasons.  One is based in fact the other is based in personal
bias or who knows what.  It took SOMEONE questioning this practice to
get it to be stopped.

>  In pediatrics, we
> don't like the cure to be worse and/or a greater risk than what we are trying
> to cure!

I think this is true of most medicine but at times is unavoidable (with
the knowledge we possess now), i.e. - chemotherapy.

> It is easy to look back and criticize past medical practices in the light of
> current knowledge and technologies.

Hey!  Of course it is and this isn't a reason NOT to do so.  This past
isn't all that past you know!!!  20 years isn't all that long ago as
some of the grand dames on this list can tell you.  I am criticizing a
current practice - rote and vigourous suctioning of infants.

> Perhaps we should be as critical of neolithic birthing & medical practices
> when over 50% of infants born died before they reached one year of age.

Of course we should and are. That's why we don't practice them anymore -
we know better now.

> But
> hey, it was natural even though fatal at times.  Medicine and medical
> procedures may seem cruel at times in our "civilized" thinking; however,
> nature can be much more brutal than we care to admit.

You are right again BUT not to the point.  The point is this practice of
suctioning every baby born or partially born abd doing so vigourously
and without forethought to some of the outcomes is gross, brutal, and
wrong in my not so non-medical opinion.

By the way, I for one am really happy we have you here asking questions
and speaking to issues the way you do, for several reasons.  (Meaning I
see you as more mainstream than most folks on this list.)  One reason is
because if we all have the same point of view and just validate
ourselves we lose a lot of potential for growth and learning.  Two, you
represent many ideas I have or hold without really realizing I hold
them.  I am so *very* new to this (check my signature) I realize I
really don't know anything about BFing let alone know anything *cutting
edge*.  I see those initials after your name as justification for you to
be asking/raising these issues.  I am always mortified I'll be politely
asked to leave when I show publically show just how ignorant *I* am.
Thank you!

--
Monique
Noah Reilly Schaefers  6/18/97