From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 23:40:00 -0400
I had the great misfortune to have a similar experience to the recent case
of 14 month old and mom with herpes lesions while nursing my 3rd child.  He
was in daycare and developed cold sores on his lip when he was about 11 1/2
mos old.  I thought nothing of them and continued to nurse him, then I
developed lesions on my left breast.  The only good thing is I have
developed a great deal of sympathy for patients who have them, because,
geez, are they painful.  I had just 2 tiny (about 4 mm each) ulcers, but
could barely stand to let him nurse on that side, couldn't stand to pump
that side when away from him at all.  Due to this, my supply diminished on
that side greatly, leading him to refuse that side permanently.  In our case
(and it sounds like this was true in the presented case as well) it was the
baby that transmitted the virus to me, not the other way around.  I can't
see how weaning would make any difference at all in such a case.
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose born 5/31/03